Linux

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

Linux

Postby denville » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:00 am

I know the lates version says it can do Linux, I believe Server only and 64-bit only - anyone know...

If / why not it can do console apps in Desktop (I realize gui apps are a different thing altogether!)

If / why not the CPB may be 32-bit (Linux would be 64-bit)

To clarify, I am doing a lot of (console app) mixed programming using 32-bit CPB and a 64-bit Ubuntu (desktop) box. I have it down to a fine art, using a few #defines in the common source, and a symbolic link in the Ubuntu box to the files on the Win PC. It's all actually quite easy until it comes to debugging the Linux version, which as we say over here is a bit of a (de)bugger! A properly integrated environment would be lovely. I would even put aside my faithful CPB6 (well just for this anyway).
denville
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Linux

Postby rlebeau » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 am

denville wrote:I know the lates version says it can do Linux, I believe Server only and 64-bit only - anyone know...

At this time, only Delphi supports Linux (and yes, only Linux 64-bit server). C++Builder support for Linux is scheduled to be added in 2018 in RADStudio 10.3, codenamed "Carnival".

RAD Studio Roadmap September 2017

denville wrote:If / why not it can do console apps in Desktop (I realize gui apps are a different thing altogether!)

I don't understand what you are asking. Are you asking if RADStudio can produce console apps for Linux? That is the first thing on the list of supported app types in Embarcadero's Linux Application Development documentation. As for making Linux GUI apps, there is a 3rd party solution named FmxLinux for that.

denville wrote:If / why not the CPB may be 32-bit (Linux would be 64-bit)

To clarify, I am doing a lot of (console app) mixed programming using 32-bit CPB and a 64-bit Ubuntu (desktop) box. I have it down to a fine art, using a few #defines in the common source, and a symbolic link in the Ubuntu box to the files on the Win PC. It's all actually quite easy until it comes to debugging the Linux version, which as we say over here is a bit of a (de)bugger! A properly integrated environment would be lovely. I would even put aside my faithful CPB6 (well just for this anyway).

I don't understand what you are asking. Are you asking for a 64-bit IDE? That is not going to happen anytime soon, if ever.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Return to Technical