unexplained sluggish performance inside the IDE

This is the forum for miscellaneous technical/programming questions.

Moderator: 2ffat

unexplained sluggish performance inside the IDE

Postby Azazaz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:37 am

Very recently, the desktop application project I'm working on in Berlin Update 2 has become extremely sluggish in performance while running inside the IDE. I have done a chkdsk and run a windows integrity check, cold booted, rebuilt from scratch, etc., but it hasn't improved any.

And I have been unable to determine that, and have no reason to believe that, any of my recent and very minor changes to the code have anything to do with it, and the application seems to perform fine outside of the IDE.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Could this be corruption of the Berlin installation? It's quite time-consuming and a hassle to reinstall everything from scratch, so I don't want to just do it without a bit of guidance from you guys.

Or is there some other possibility? And/or are there any tools that could help track this down? -- hopefully free or nearly so as I have already just about maxed myself out investment-wise on this project.

Thanks for any info and opinions.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Re: unexplained sluggish performance inside the IDE

Postby smd » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:38 pm

I recently had that happen. it was Windows 10 applying a cumulative update in the background hogging 80 perent of the cpu time. Try clicking settings->windows update->Check for Updates to force it to finish. It actually took about a half hour with it applying the update in the foreground, then when it was done everything went back to running at full speed.
-----------------------------
Scott
smd
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Postby HsiaLin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:24 am

I too have had that happen, in my case i just had to keep shutting the IDE down and restarting it, it eventually begins working again.
HsiaLin
BCBJ Master
BCBJ Master

Postby Azazaz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

But it turned out that I had somehow accidentally enabled a feature in the Debugger Event Log that logs Windows messages. Just logging all those extra messages is what was slowing everything down.

Anyhow, I knew there was something that looked different in the Event Log when launching the project from inside the IDE, but I couldn't quite put my mental finger on it -- but finally figured out what was going on.

Whew! So glad I don't have to reinstall everything again.
Azazaz
BCBJ Guru
BCBJ Guru

Return to Technical