XE7 and Intraweb

This is the forum for general discussion.

Moderator: 2ffat

XE7 and Intraweb

Postby denville » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi

I am thinking (very carefully) about obtaining XE7 (Enterprise) really just to get the latest Intraweb stuff. I am thinking carefully because this will cost me an arm and a leg ! I wonder if anyone has any comments on the following:

(1) XE7 (C++ Builder version of course) - can I install it on the same PC as my precious CPB 6 without fear of damage to the older product, which will remain my mainstay for the forseeable future ??
(2) Intraweb - any comments or advice from knowledgable users ? It seems just what I want but I tried the earlier version with my CPB 6 and the show stopper was that, any little change to the web form caused a complete re-build of the entire show, a terrably frustrating thing on a complex page. I wonder if that has been fixed in the latest version (using WebSockets perhaps) ?
Any advice / information much appreciated.
Ta.
denville
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: XE7 and Intraweb

Postby rlebeau » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:45 pm

denville wrote:I am thinking (very carefully) about obtaining XE7 (Enterprise) really just to get the latest Intraweb stuff. I am thinking carefully because this will cost me an arm and a leg !

Why not just install the latest IntraWeb into your existing IDE?

denville wrote:(1) XE7 (C++ Builder version of course) - can I install it on the same PC as my precious CPB 6 without fear of damage to the older product, which will remain my mainstay for the forseeable future ??

Mostly yes. Except for shared components, like the JIT debugger, IDE versions are separate and independent from each other. Many people have multiple versions installed on the same PC without problem. If you are worried, you can always install the IDEs into Virtual Machines to keep them separate.

denville wrote:(2) Intraweb - any comments or advice from knowledgable users ? It seems just what I want but I tried the earlier version with my CPB 6 and the show stopper was that, any little change to the web form caused a complete re-build of the entire show, a terrably frustrating thing on a complex page. I wonder if that has been fixed in the latest version (using WebSockets perhaps) ?

I cannot answer that, as I have never used IntraWeb myself.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Re: XE7 and Intraweb

Postby denville » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:46 am

Thanks.

My problem of course is that I am still on CPB6; the latest version of Intraweb that is compatible with this is v9, which I did indeed try a year ago, but which I found to be too laboured in that it refreshed the whole web page for just a trivial change, and thus looked bad to the user.

The latest versions are 14 (bundled w. XE7) and 15, and I was hoping that the above problem might have been addressed. But that's why I was considering getting XE7.

Thanks again, as usual !

Denville.
denville
Top Poster
Top Poster

Return to General