Debugger in depth?

This is the forum to discuss the Journal's content, article suggestions, etc.

Moderator: 2ffat

Debugger in depth?

Postby Azazaz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:26 pm

I don't usually have too hard a time debugging, but every now and again, I run into a real monster that I just can't figure out. When I do, I generally have to change my code altogether, sometimes even starting all over from scratch in terms of the desired functionality or feature -- but when that is the case, it usually means something isn't going to work as I originally envisioned (and as I believe would be better).

I believe at least some of my trouble is that I don't really understand the debugger. I never have. And the documentation that comes with C++Builder doesn't seem to explain much.

Has the Journal ever explained the Debugger in any kind of depth?

If so, can anyone reference the article(s)?

Perhaps I simply overlooked them?

Or if not, can anyone recommend books or videos that could help demystify this for me? Most of what I have been able to find so far is focused on other compilers I've either not worked with at all or have very limited exposure to (like Visual Studio, etc.). Are any of those going to be truly useful in helping me understand the debugger in Builder (or Delphi?) Is thee anything more specific to recent releases of Builder and Rad Studio?

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.
Azazaz
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Re: Debugger in depth?

Postby sasumner » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:32 am

I think you are going to have to be a whole lot more specific about what aspect of the debugger gives you such trouble before anyone is going to be able to offer suggestions.
sasumner
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Azazaz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:31 pm

That's kind of a tall order since I don't think I understand enough about it to tell you what I don't understand.

For example, in the Entire CPU Window, I am able to search in the main area for addresses when an exception gives me one, and I am able to figure stuff out sometimes by doing that and by selecting 'Caller' in the popup menu -- sometimes.

But I don't understand all the other areas, or sections, or whatever they are, which appear to be assembly code, or offsets, etc.

What are they? What do they represent? What are they trying to tell me? I don't see any explanation anywhere in the Embarcadero documentation, nor have I been able to find anything helpful online.

And break points don't seem to work in XE8 as well as they did in previous versions. I've been trying to figure out if I have some settings wrong.

And just in general, I have a lot of questions, like about how to debug a multi-threaded application, etc.

I guess I was just hoping that there is some tremendously difficult and comprehensive book somewhere that I could study and study and study until my eyes bleed so I could really get this down once and for all. Unlike many, I am generally very good at learning from books, but seem to have trouble with various other resources that many others claim to find worthwhile.

Oh well. Thanks anyway.
Azazaz
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Postby 2ffat » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:50 am

I'm moving this thread to the Article forum and we'll see if someone is interested in writing a series of debugger articles.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
when there is science to do.
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Return to Articles