Translating C++Builder Projects - 3 and 4 - missing?

This is the forum to discuss the Journal's content, article suggestions, etc.

Moderator: 2ffat

Translating C++Builder Projects - 3 and 4 - missing?

Postby MarkE » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:41 am

Hi,

I've just been reading the localization articles "Translating C++Builder Projects" 1 and 2 in Vol 14 - No 9 and Vol 14 - No 11 (2010) by Malcolm Smith.

The first article mentioned there would be 4 articles in total but 3 and 4 seem to be missing. Any idea what's happened to those articles?

Thanks,
Mark
MarkE

Re: Translating C++Builder Projects - 3 and 4 - missing?

Postby rlebeau » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:03 pm

I just sent an email to Malcolm to ping him for a reply.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Postby mjfreelancing » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Mark,

My apologies. Back when I was writing those I had a lot going on with work and I think I may have forgotten to come back to them. I'll check what I have done and see if I can finish them off. If there is something you need to know in particular feel free to ask me directly or on the forum. I'll do my best to get around to them (although I am quite busy for the next 2 weeks).
mjfreelancing

Postby MarkE » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:21 am

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the update, I look forward to seeing the final articles.

Actually, I do have a few specific problems that I suspect the missing articles may not cover anyway. I'm doing my first localization (English to Spanish) and I'm using the resource dll technique. I've come across a few problems.

First XE2 doesn't seem to deal with my own string table very well. It complains that it can't find the res file. I would have thought it would generate it using the resource compiler but it doesn't. I got round it by adding the Spanish rc to my main project, compiling it, then copying the resulting res file to the dll project tree (ESP\Win\Release) and editing the dll project files (.dpr and .bdsproj) to point to it. Then replacing the Spanish rc with the English one back in the main project.

Next, my main project uses dbGo. The resource dll wizard insists on adding the VCL supplied login and password dialogs even though my project doesn't use them explicitly. When I try and build the dll, XE2 can't find them. Again, to get round the problem I edit the dll project files to remove the references to them as I don't use them anyway (but what if I did?).

My final problem and the one I could really do with some help with, is; how do you deal with third party dialogs? I'm using Raize Comps 6. On one of my forms I'm using the Raize SelectFolderDialog (TRzSelectFolderDialog). The resource dll project doesn't complain that it's missing when I build it. It's not until runtime and running under Spanish that I get an exception complaining that the resource for the dialog cannot be found. It doesn't error until I click the button that should launch the dialog so I didn't notice the problem until I got round to translating that area of the app. I imagine that I need to copy the dialogs dfm to the project somehow but I'm not sure how to reference it in the dll project files.

Obviously, every time I need to update the resource dll project via XE2's IDE. I then need to edit the project files to get it work again which I'd rather not have to do!

So, in a nutshell, my questions are:
How to deal with my own string tables properly?
How to deal with VCL resources other than my own forms properly?
How to deal with third party resources properly?

One final question, does anyone know which Spanish locale I should be using? I'm targeting Spain itself. I've gone for Spanish (Traditional Sort) but I keep feeling I should be using Spanish (International Sort).

Thanks for any help,
Mark

My setup: Win XP SP3 32 bit, Embarcadero RAD Studio XE2 enterprise update 3 (I know update 4 is out, I haven't got round to it yet. The machine I'm currently using is really slow! I don't see any fixes regarding localization in the bug fix list mind)
MarkE

Return to Articles