Firebird DB

This the the forum for potential authors to submit article ideas.

Moderator: 2ffat

Firebird DB

Postby 2ffat » Thu May 31, 2012 9:47 am

Is there interest in an article or article(s) on installing and using the Firebird data base for C++?

I've installed Firebird on an XP system using C++Builder 2010 and am in the process of installing in on an Win7 system with C++Builder EX2. I've written programs for the Firebird Embedded data base and I was wondering if anyone would like me to write an article on what I've done and discovered.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
when there is science to do.
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Firebird DB

Postby bertrand » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:56 am

HI,

I'm very interested by an article about Firebird. I develop a multi-tiers soft using DataSnap and Firebird as well as others DBMS like MySQL, MSSQL, Oracle and so on. I use C++ Builder Enterprise XE.

I'm fighting with some matters :
- How to develop an application compatible with all DBMS (or as much as possible)
- How to use blobs and binary fields with DataSnap.
- How to correctly use guids as table keys, to easyly merge databses or exchange between databases, with perf consideration, page split and volumes.
- How to use local DBMS (like Firebird embeded server) and remote Datasnap DBMS with the same code.
- ...and more and more database (code and design) issues

I'm in the design phase of such a system and would be very please to get good advices on these topics.

Bertrand
bertrand

Postby 2ffat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:14 am

I will seriously look into writing an article or two. Using the FB embedded turned out to be much easier that I imagined but getting FB up and running was a chore.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Postby bertrand » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:52 am

I stay tuned 8) !
bertrand

Postby macicogna » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:21 am

Hi,

I've been using Interbase (5 and 6) and Firebird (1.x until 2.5) since 1999. It surprised me to read that getting FB up and running it was a chore (2ffat post).

That is not the correct forum, but I would be glad to help if you post your doubts in a Technical thread.

Bertrand, a try to your "How to develop an application compatible with all DBMS" doubt could the dbExpress, ZeosLib (GPL) or AnyDAC.

The last one was bought by Embarcadero last month. Maybe this is not good news because AnyDAC was a fork to RAD Professional (flavor) version in opposition to buy the Enterprise or above versions.

Regards,

Marcelo.
macicogna
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Postby 2ffat » Wed May 01, 2013 5:59 am

I'm still planning on writing those articles but due to life (cancer, job changes, etc.) I had to put them on a back burner. I hope to finish them up soon. Getting FB up and running on my XP box was a an interesting journey. I'll explain more in my first article.
James P. Cottingham

Look at me still talking
2ffat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Return to Manuscript Proposals