Check for Updates

This the the forum for potential authors to submit article ideas.

Moderator: 2ffat

Check for Updates

Postby macicogna » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:55 am

Hi,

I have some experience with InnoSetup scripts to produce installation and (patch) updates for my application distribution. My (patch) update files were created with InnoSetup as well, following some special directives from InnoSetup, into the script, to produce an patch instead a new installation.

I've recently developed a "Check for Updates" script using InnoSetup. It became a external exe file, with some parameters, able to check updates posted in my app's website, download update files and apply them to the user's PC.

This bring to my application a new and interesting resource: the automatic check, download and installation of updates.

I know this is not just a C++ subject, but the final result increased my app's value perception with my clients. I've used some BCBJ articles and forum's post to develop a "reset" option, usually necessary during the update process. The scripts are based on InnoSetup's Pascal script (Object Pascal programming).

I've organized the Check for Updates scripts aiming to help other developers to easily embed this resource on their applications, after the setup of some declaration constants related to the app identification and versioning.

Damon, do you think this subject could be interesting to BCBJ readers?

Regards,

Marcelo.
macicogna
BCBJ Veteran
BCBJ Veteran

Re: Check for Updates

Postby Damon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi Marcelo,

Yes, this sounds very interesting. Can you send me an e-mail at editor AT bcbj DOT org. I can provide you our manuscript template to use to prepare your article. Thanks!

Cheers,
Damon Chandler
Editor-in-Chief
C++Builder Developer's Journal
http://bcbjournal.com
Damon
BCBJ Editor and Admin
BCBJ Editor and Admin

Return to Manuscript Proposals