Virtual folder paths

This the the forum for potential authors to submit article ideas.

Moderator: 2ffat

Virtual folder paths

Postby rlebeau » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:43 pm

I long time ago, I started (but did not finish) writing a parsing engine for managing virtual paths, in other words being able to parse path strings that contain virtual folders into absolute paths. For example, given a virtual folder "test" that is attached to the "C:\" folder and points to "D:\somefolder\otherfolder", then a string "C:\folder\file.ext" would resolve to "D:\somefolder\otherfolder\file.ext".

Would this be something worth writing about? BDS 2006 supports virtual folders in its Project Manager, for instance, and most FTP and HTTP servers support virtual folders as well, so it is a technique with definate real-world applications. It wouldn't even have to be limited to file system folders, either. It could be applied to any type of hierarchy that can be represented in strings.
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Postby Damon » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:05 am

Remy,

Yes, I think this topic is definitely worthy of an article. Most folks don't realize the extra work involved in processing virtual folders until they actually have to do it. A reusable parsing engine would prove quite useful.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Chandler
Editor-in-Chief
C++Builder Developer's Journal
http://bcbjournal.com
Damon
BCBJ Editor and Admin
BCBJ Editor and Admin

Postby rlebeau » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:11 pm

Damon wrote:Yes, I think this topic is definitely worthy of an article. Most folks don't realize the extra work involved in processing virtual folders until they actually have to do it. A reusable parsing engine would prove quite useful.

I haven't forgotten about this. Just been too busy to finish my engine so I can write anything about it.
Remy Lebeau (TeamB)
Lebeau Software
rlebeau
BCBJ Author
BCBJ Author

Return to Manuscript Proposals